Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Women's Running Article Hits Home

As always I get excited upon opening my mail and seeing my Women's Running magazine, especially since lately they had been sending me two.  However, I think someone got that unfortunate problem fixed-darn it.

I always love the tips, clothes, editors notes, stories of how running changed people's lives; however, there was one article this month that had me in tears.  Their cover model winner was a breast cancer survivor.  She was a marathoner and just completed her first Half Ironman.  My grandmother and my mother are both breast cancer survivors.  Since they developed the disease later in life-past 50-the doctors didn't see a reason to genetically test me.  However, for years now, once a year I go in for a mammogram and an ultrasound.  Once a year I cry in the waiting room and call my mom.  Once a year I am terrified sitting in a nice comfy robe, waiting to get tested.  However, the complimentary chocolate they give with the robe is nice. My mom felt a lump and was persistent.  Glad she was, because the mammogram didn't detect it-yep-mind blown.  Therefore, the ultrasound did.

It is amazing to me that women will go put in hours at the gym and eat right and yet don't do self breast exams.  And they bitch about their yearly exam.  I deal with regularly where I work.  I am sorry-you are complaining because we want to make sure you aren't showing any cancer cells in your cervix-so sorry. Cancer doesn't give a shit if your married or in a monogamous relationship-FYI.   #sorryiamnotsorry

Lindsey Hein describes her story of being an athlete, wife and mom in this issue.

She describes her treatment, her choices and deciding to have another child after treatment.  I was lucky that my moms cancer didn't spread.  She had surgery and no radiation or chemo.  I am thankful for that.  Even though all my tests have been great- I still make my doctor send the findings, which I have no real idea what they mean-a bunch of numbers and terms, but somehow it makes me feel a bit better nonetheless.  I am so thankful that I am healthy.  I can get up each day and do what I want.  I do struggle with asthma-and at times it's hard, but it pales in comparison what others endure everyday and get out and kick the day's ass.  So, it makes me even more upset that perfectly healthy people sit on the couch. Seriously?  I hope you take time to read this article either online or bogart a quick read at your local book store (we all do it ;-)).  Here is the link.
http://womensrunning.competitor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment