Saturday, August 9, 2014

Motivation

Motivation is a funny thing.  For me, I have it all during my training to my A race of the year.  I love a plan telling me what to do.  All during training I make deals with my body.  These deals are usually promising to get more sleep, to stretch more and for my body to hold out and then I will give it rest.  So, when that A race is done, the motivation subsides.

There is a discombobulation that occurs after the goal race.  After the Ironman, I have found myself not wanting to lose fitness while battling the need for sleep and rest.  The irritation that occurs between the need to keep going with the need to let your body repair itself.  I have also found that Ironman training aftermath is different for me than the NYC Marathon training.  Whilst training for the triathlon I had friends and my tri partner to hold me accountable and talk to while training.  In marathon training, I did have friends on some runs, but there were a lot of time you are out there alone.  So, I am finding it hard to run, bike, swim by myself.  I actually apologized to my bike, Fuego, because we haven't hit the road in two weeks together.  Yes, I did verbalize this directly, most likely while touching the frame.  Don't judge.

Alas, this is what good friends are for.  Thank you to my friends who meet me for runs/swim/bike these days. I am trying to take a few months and enjoy the fun fitness get togethers.  I actually played water polo yesterday!  It was my first time and I knew it may be the only time I get to do it this summer.  This late morning run, my friend and I discussed how we need to cut ourselves slack.  If we don't get out there and do something that day, to not beat ourselves up about it.  It's only been 2 weeks since Calgary, and I need to cut myself slack for doing yoga and not doing a 4 hour ride.  So, let us, including myself, focus on how much we have achieved, rather than how far we have to go.  Below is a pic of me in my first triathlon.  Cage pedals-that I had on until a year ago-and a bike that really didn't fit me, but I went out there and did it!
Queen City Triathlon 2011
 

1 comment:

  1. I love the thought of focusing on what you have achieved! Hard to do sometimes, but so healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete