Monday, August 25, 2014

Namaste Introvertness

Sometimes I know it is hard for many to believe that this Irish girl can be an introvert.  There is a part of me that loves time alone, time to reflect or time to nap and watch Netflix.  I don't allow myself that a lot-and maybe that is my problem.  It's hard for me to relax and "do nothing" at times.  But when I start to feel overwhelmed or agitated at the little things, I know it's time to shut down-shut down my electronics, shut down being so accessible, shut down being so hard on myself.

I tend to have the classic Virgo tendencies.  To be perfect, to always be pleasing, to always say yes...I found a great reprieve from this during marathon training.  I finally started being what I thought was selfish.  Only to have one of my best friends tell me it wasn't selfish at all.  I was saying no to plans that didn't fit in with my sleep, training or eating.  I was basically doing what others had been doing.  It was also during this time I probably fell the most in love with yoga.  I practice hot yoga in my community and I was going Friday mornings before my long runs on Saturday and for a nice restorative balance Sunday mornings.  I learned to let go of my "ego" and be grateful for what my body could do and embrace what it couldn't do.  I had been watching inspirational videos that NYC Marathon posted and I kept hearing this one song.  Then, in my practice I was hearing it as well.  I fell in love with it and it became my sanctuary.  I listen to it when I need to focus, let go, unwind and just be in tune with me.  I listen to it a lot before races in fact.  I am listening to it right now.  Here it is-enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcyIpul8OE

Being an introvert doesn't necessarily mean your anti-social.  For me it's about becoming reconnected and yes, possibly escaping for a day or two to recharge my batteries.
I have this chair as well, but I do love my recliner :-)

I feel that yoga allows for this.  It's about me and mind and body.  I am not looking at what the other person is doing.  Even after all that I have done in my athletic career, I am the most proud of my body when I am in a yoga class.  Maybe it's because it's about me and I am not chasing someone down or vice versa.  I am also trying to let go of individuals that are negative and those who are oh so supportive behind a keyboard, but not in real life.  I feel like I am juggling a lot of stress balls lately.  Stress about money, stress about finding a job, stress that I have a Masters and I really want to use it, stress that I busted my butt all through school and even with good grades I am struggling in finding a career.  Stress of possibly feeling this urge to move, to grow and to be uncomfortable.  Stress that everyone I share these fears with are people who have jobs and a paycheck-so is there a level of understanding or empathy?  At times, yes. Upon these feelings today I found this blog about letting our inner fire burn-clearing the bullshit, people who give you bullshit really, and are surface supporters is what I call them.  I found it amazing on many levels.  Take time to enjoy the moment without planning the next moment, to sit in silence with a good book and to recharge your batteries.

http://www.quietlyauthentic.com/4/post/2014/08/burning-old-belief-systems-so-your-inner-fire-can-flow.html

No comments:

Post a Comment