Thursday, August 14, 2014

Exercise Therapy

I am starting to get back into the swing of things post Ironman.  My friend Adrienna and I are going to run the Bozeman Half Marathon, on my birthday no less!  What a great way to celebrate.  I am also lucky that two of my other friends, Kelli and Tina, jumped into cheer and share a girls weekend.  I do love that half marathon, it is so pretty.  I was really dialed into my NYC Marathon training last year, so this is just a "fun run" for me.  I know, most people choose a 5k for a fun!

It's no surprise that when we can't exercise as much as we like, we get cranky.  So many benefits from being active, maybe not to the endurance athlete experience, but taking 20 min for "you."  I just helped one my best friends locate an elliptical because she has two little ones, but was really missing getting out and doing things.  When we went to go pick it up, her son, who I refer to as "little buddy" said "what is that?" I replied: "it will make mommy nicer." Ha! Of course my friend is already a great mom and much more patient than I could ever dream of, but isn't it true on some level?

I have solved many of my life's heartache, problems and questions on a run, bike or staring at a black line on the bottom of a pool.  I have made business models and conquered fears by sharing with my training partners.  Although, not really in the pool-it's hard to talk underwater and I prefer air to conversation while swimming!  However, swimming has this unbelievable calming effect on me.  Maybe, that is why I can never get enough of it at some level.

Last week, I finally got on my bike! Fuego and I did an easy loop and I got off and petted some horses-and yes, took a selfie.

El Caballo Blanco
It was nice to ride and enjoy the day rather than calculate speed and nutrition.  It's great to run with a fun goal in mind.  I hate that summer is slowly ending, and that it's still almost dark at 6 am.  I am not a fan of getting up at dark, I have hated since I was a child.  I remember telling my mom I didn't have to get up because it was dark and no one goes to school in the dark. However, watching the sunrise here in Montana is totally worth it.  Adrienna took this on our morning run today.
Le Grande loop
As tired as I get from training, I know I would be beast without it.  Soaking up the summer is my goal right now.  Along with napping as much as humanly possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment