Friday, August 15, 2014

Billings-36 hours or bust.....

It's always funny to return to your hometown.  Whether living far away or a drive away.  I write this now from my old bedroom at my dad's house.  Part of me wants to sneak out the big bedroom window, just to see if I still can.

I actually have a hard time being in Billings most of the time.  I can usually only be here about 36 hours.  But up to the challenge, I am trying to stay wee bit past that.  However, it will take some dedication on my part. Mainly because there is no baseball game during my time here.  Honestly though, I wonder why I can't wait to get back to Helena.  My family lives here, some of my greatest friends live here; so why the rush?

I think it is because in Helena I have water, trails, mountains literally out my door.  I have this great community, this little niche to call mine-or at least part of mine-ish.  I often get asked if I would move back here and the answer is always the same: "Not unless my dream job was here."  My parents know this.  My life has changed so much since leaving Billings.  I am way more active and I dream a little bit bigger. Therefore, I like to visit here-albeit briefly.  Also, I am a creature of habit for the most part (although trying to change that in 2014-hello ice skating, water polo, Ironman...) so having my little routine makes me feel less chaotic.

But I do love this town.  I love knowing that I made out on the rims and looked at the stars, made the rounds at the downtown bars, laughed and cried my way through this town.  I grew up, literally on Cobb Field with my dad and the third base line.  I ran my heart out here.  One of my favorite half marathons is here.  My favorite coffee shop is here.  Some of the greatest fighters for equality live here.  Therefore, some of my heart will always be here.

Alas, my best manfriend lives here.  Again.  Jared moved back here a bit ago and I am so happy, because he is always a must for me to hang out when here.... it's like my dad, then Jared....  He moved to L.A. (my old stomping grounds as well) last year.  I always felt a part of Billings was missing when he was gone and I was here.  So, imagine my excitement to be able to spend actual face time together versus messages and phone calls.  Jared is that friend that really gets me.  You know the one that you can TRULY be yourself around.  He understands my love for all things A&E-"A&E is the truth!!" to the book I should write about how I hate slow talkers and people who pause for too long with a sub section called throat punching and that besties always share fries.  We have been friends for so long I can't really remember us not being friends in our adult lives.  However, he got a gig back in L.A. and had to go back-so we won't see each other-this time! But he will be back and I am first on the list to see in just 6 short weeks.  So, my time in Billings may have decreased-kidding, but seriously.  However, I leave this post with a few pictures of Jared and I.  Until we can make more memories friend....


No comments:

Post a Comment