Thursday, February 26, 2015

Hitting The Mat

As I sit here, just back from a hot yoga class, I am drinking my herbal tea-I know how very yogi of me.  I love yoga.  I should take that back.  I like yoga, I love hot yoga.

I was first really introduced to yoga my senior year at Carroll.  Yes, the one class I needed to graduate was only offered the spring semester of the year of the rat during just the perfect summer solstice.  So, I needed 10 more credits to keep my scholarship.  I conned my friend Kenric into taking Water Safety Instructor with me since we were already life guarding at the YMCA and teaching lessons.  It was our chance to shine and eventually get another .50 cents on our paycheck.  I also chose to take yoga.  And some other random ones in my minor of Philosophy.  Yes, my parents were so proud that I was getting a yoga education at a private college.  CHA-CHING!

Then, picked up the love of yoga again while living in LA.  I think that yoga is mandatory to live there...to carry a mat, wear dark shades and drink Kambucha. Still I loved the synergy of my mind and body.  I was hooked.  Upon moving back to Billings, I continued my daily once a week practice. Incorporating it in my life as routine.  

In 2011, I started Hot Yoga.  I didn't really incorporate it too much because of my job and would try to hit a class here or there.  It wasn't until summer of 2013 that I really worked it into my life.  At that time I needed balance in my life and calmness.  Plus, I started marathon training for the first time and it was a good contrast to pounding the pavement.  A mental break and a body break..of sorts.  I attribute it to healing and staying injury free.  Now, I do everything I can to take multiple classes. Out of all the things I have done athletically, I am most proud of the time I hit my mat and see what my body is capable of.  And sweat my ass off...well...at least the water weight of my ass.  I set many intentions through out classes over time: Thanking my body, quieting my mind, stretch out my hips and that damn right shoulder.  It's a great core exercise and let's just say it, you look like a bad ass balancing your body weight on your forearms.  I am still working on fully nailing crow pose. But, most of all, I am not afraid to fall...to fail...because it's just me...and my mat.  Why do I love hot yoga?  I love it because I detox my body.  And I love it because it allows me to go deeper since my muscles are warm.  I get a greater benefit of my body all around.  The best thing is, I have been inspired, humbled, cried, scared, proud and healed a hurt ego and heart on that mat.  I have deepened friendships and created new ones...on that mat.  I have said that my running feet show hard earned miles, my cycling feet say the same and "I need to repaint my toenails and shave my legs" on that mat..don't deny you do it too.  There is no competition on the mat.  Life is shut out for 60-90 minutes of pure sweat and intention.  I have been mentored by some amazing teachers and yogis. Yoga has made me more grateful and thoughtful.  I know, can you imagine me before?!  
So, go to a class-yoga or hot yoga..and transform your perspective of yourself.  Be present.  Believe in the Power of Now.  And walk out better than you walked in.  

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment